Conservation of Decorative Paint
The Adamson House, located in Malibu, California, was built by Rhoda Ridge Adamson and her husband Merritt Adamson. Rhoda was the daughter to Frederick Hastings Rindge and Rhoda May Knight Rindge, the last owners of the Malibu Spanish Land Grant. A vast property between the mountains and sea, it eventually became the most valuable single real estate holding in the United States, and is now home to the city of Malibu. Rhode and Merritt were given 13 acres of the property to build their home. The home was designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival Style with Moorish influences by Stiles Clements and constructed in 1929. It is also well known for the abundance of colorful tile work throughout the house.
The Adamson’s alternated living the beach house and their home in Hancock Park until 1936 when they made Malibu their permanent home. The State of California purchased the property in 1968, intending to raze the buildings to make way for additional parking for beach goers. In 1971, the Chancellor of Pepperdine University moved in to Adamson House as part of an effort to maintain the house until it could be properly restored. The Malibu Historical Society was formed to preserve the house, which became a California Historical Landmark in 1985. The Malibu Lagoon Interpretive Association, now known as Malibu Adamson House Foundation, was formed in 1981 and presided over the opening of the house as a museum in 1983.
K.C. Restoration was responsible for the conservation of all the interior decorative painted surfaces including a cast plaster ceiling, as well as the replacement of deteriorated metal work.
To learn more about the Adamson House visit their