San Bernardino County Courthouse
San Bernardino, CA
GC: Stronghold Engineering
CLIENT: Preservation Arts
SERVICES: Wood Window Restoration
Conservation of Historic Murals
Originally slated for demolition, this historic landmark built in 1926 has been in use without interruption since its original construction. This multi-phased renovation project called for the seismic retrofit, partial interior remodel and historic renovation of more than 194,000 sq ft of the existing county courthouse. The construction took place in two fully occupied and operational buildings with more than 500 staff members and daily occupancy exceeding 3,000 people. The project was phased so that only three courtrooms were closed at any given time, keeping the courthouse fully operational. The project team committed to work nights and weekends as a standard schedule in order to keep the buildings in operation.
K.C. Restoration was contracted for the restoration and painting of the historic wood windows; repainting and reglazing decorative interior plaster details; and the conservation of twelve painted canvas murals. In addition to the conservation of the murals, K.C. Restoration also designed a removal and protection plan for the murals to allow access for structural retrofitting in the ceiling above the murals.